Wild Card

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas

Wild Card

Message  Luce le Mer 27 Mai 2009 - 19:28

Par Maureen Paton (Sunday Express, le 4 novembre 2001).
[1 page scannée, merci à Lady7]
Matthew MacFadyen will set hearts racing as a wayward, gambling aristo in a new BBC costume drama. Words Maureen Paton.
Matthew MacFadyen apologises for looking a bit rough. In truth, the stubble on the Scots-Welsh actor’s face just serves to sharpen his man-of-the-world appeal.
“I think I’ve got over last night’s hangover now,” Matthew, 27, confides, ordering a glass of wine.
He had spent the previous evening carousing with friends he has made on the set of his latest drama serial. “The others forced me to drink. It was like a race, as if there was no more drink left in the world. But, good fun,” he adds, blearily.
A solid 6ft 2in, he can probably take it. And Matthew has plenty to celebrate. He won praise as the young lead in Stephen Poliakoff’s Perfect Strangers for BBC2, and will soon give a further demonstration of his talents in the new TV version of Anthony Trollope’s novel, The Way We Live Now.
It’s a full-blooded role - Matthew plays dissolute baronet Sir Felix Carbury, the spoiled son of a doting mother, who divides his time between drinking, gambling and wenching before trying to elope with the heiress daughter of malignant financier Augustus Melmotte (David Suchet). Matthew bonded for life with the actors who play Felix’s wild cronies - hence last night's reunion.
“There was a brilliant atmosphere on set,” Matthew says. “We wanted The Way We Live Now to be gutsy, not a 'come into the garden, Emily' kind of costume drama. The script just zinged along. Felix treats women dreadfully, he is a real heart-breaker.”
You’d expect nothing less, given that the adaptation is by Andrew Davies - the man who plunged Colin Firth’s pent-up Mr Darcy into a lake to cool his ardour. Felix, as played by Matthew, is fully in touch with his animal urges - the rakish baronet keeps two women on the go.
Matthew remains fond of Felix, despite the character's excesses. “He is a mummy's boy”, he says. “There's nothing Machiavellian about him. You are always drawn to people like Felix; there's a bit of a rotter in everyone.”
The go-for-broke quality evident in Matthew's acting has kept him in constant demand since leaving RADA six years ago. From the lead in the BBC's award-winning army drama Warriors to his cameo as Nigel, the pretentious BBC controller in the hit version of Ben Elton’s Maybe Baby, he has charged from one high-profile project to another.
“As Nigel, I was running around screaming at Hugh Laurie and being a bit of a pain, which comes easily to me,” he jokes. “With some parts, you just relish the ridiculousness of it; you might as well go for it, there is no point in half-measures.” The actors he admires most are ones like Richard E Grant, who “can let themselves go with that rage.”
The nomadic life of a performer suits Matthew, who travelled widely as a child because his father worked for an oil company. But Hollywood is one destination that’s not currently on his agenda. “I've been so lucky so far,” he says.
“But it seems senseless to go to America just to do a big studio movie. I would feel like a salesman rather than an actor. The joy of acting, the thing that really blows me away, is being able to change from one role to the next. It’s scary for any actor to be typecast.”
He’s escaped that fate thanks to a chameleon quality that’s rare in leading men. As the outsider Daniel in Perfect Strangers and as the badly scarred Lieutenant Cave in the recent film Enigma, he found himself having to project intensity rather than a Felix-like flamboyance.
“The make-up for Cave took four hours; my face was painted with melted-down gelatine. But it also took a good hour prettifying me for Felix. They bouffed my hair till I looked like a spaniel, and within an inch of my life. I had more make-up on than the girls.”
When the subject of real-life girlfriends is broached, he winces and says discreetly, “Tricky subject: different countries.” Distance has not necessarily lent enchantment, it seems, in that department.
But it can’t be long before the engaging MacFadyen is snapped up. Unlike the irresponsible Felix, he’s temperate enough to have left half the wine in his glass by the end of our interview and solvent enough to have bought his own flat in London’s Shoreditch. “Everything’s sorted except for the window blinds,” Matthew says. He’d better buy some soon - before the fans start queueing for a peep.

The Way We Live Now begins on BBC 1 On Sunday, 11 November.
Caption: Matthew with Lindsay Duncan, above, in Perfect Strangers and below, in The Way We Live Now

Dernière édition par Luce le Lun 1 Juin 2009 - 11:13, édité 1 fois
Luce
Fan extraordinaire
Fan extraordinaire

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Re: Wild Card

Message  Marina le Mer 27 Mai 2009 - 20:44

Merci Luce. J'aime ses interviews. Elles sont si amusantes. Very Happy
Marina
Fan extraordinaire
Fan extraordinaire

Revenir en haut Aller en bas