Une production Cheek by Jowl

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas

Une production Cheek by Jowl

Message  Matthieu le Sam 27 Déc 2008 - 20:48

Voir le site de la compagnie.

Une captation de la pièce est visible à la National Video Archive of Performance, à Londres.
Matthieu
Fan libre

http://www.matthew-macfadyen.org/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Re: Une production Cheek by Jowl

Message  Luce le Lun 30 Mar 2009 - 21:26

Témoignage de Saskia Reeves à propos de Much Ado About Nothing dans la collection "Actors on Shakespeare" (Faber and Faber). Elle raconte son expérience de création du personnage de Beatrice, parle du travail avec Declan Donnellan, la compagnie Cheek by Jowl et avec Matthew Macfadyen qui interprétait le personnage de Benedick, dans cette production de 1998.

En voici quelques extraits.
Declan asked me to read opposite Matthew Macfadyen who already had the part of Benedick. This made me more nervous. What if the audition went well but we didn’t fit together somehow? What if Matthew didn’t like me? And I realized I hardly knew the play at all. I didn't yet understand any of the levels within the story. Reading the play, or even seeing it in performance, does not give you the information you need to act it out.
I had to prepare the first dialogue between Beatrice and Benedick in Act I, scene i. I learnt this small exchange without really knowing what it was, or who I was pretending to be, even though I’d read the play from beginning to end by then. Together we read the scene a few times, and, little by little, I began to fall for this character Beatrice. [...] I was pleasantly surprised that we were all at a point of discovery with these characters. Matthew didn’t seem to be as far ahead as I had feared -or at least he didn’t make me feel as if he was- and Declan, too, admitted to not knowing what it was all about yet.
[...]
We impovised about the story to give our characters shared experiences and background informations. There were explorations of themes in the play, a lot of movement and text words, and songs and dances to be learnt. Everyone would be singing, and if we could play a musical instrument, we were encouraged to do so. The rehearsal time was longer than for A Midsummer Night’s Dream, additionally involving a musical director, Paddy Cuneen, and a movement director, Jane Gibson, who spent as much time rehearsing with us as possible. Declan continued to rehearse the play through-out the run. This was something I really enjoyed about working with Cheek by Jowl: I was able to keep discovering the character as I went along and I have the chance to improve.
[...]
There will always be things we don’t know. Declan would say: "we cannot know everything and it doesn’t have to be perfect". I especially liked hearing that last part...
[...]
I should describe Benedick at this point because it is important to realize that all the allusions to him being a ladie’s man were almost feasible in our telling of the story. Matthew Macfadyen as Benedick was big, broad and dashing, with a moustache over a stupid grin. Benedick is a warm character, not a cool, calculating cad, but also an utterly pompous twit, making silly jokes that only others fools would find funny; conceited, overbearing and a swaggerer. How could women possibly find him attractive? God only knows.

Luce
Fan extraordinaire
Fan extraordinaire

Message  Marina le Lun 29 Juil 2013 - 20:05

'Much Ado About Nothing' at the British Universities Film & Video Council.
Marina
Fan extraordinaire
Fan extraordinaire

Message  Luce le Mar 30 Juil 2013 - 7:09

Merci, Marina. Il existe donc une autre captation de la pièce ! (voir ici) Cool
Luce
Fan extraordinaire
Fan extraordinaire

Message  Luce le Mer 30 Oct 2013 - 11:17

Dans les archives de Michael Giltz, critique new-yorkais, cet article (.pdf) intitulé : Cheeky Theater - London's innovative Cheek by Jowl brings Much Ado About Nothing to BAM, paru dans la revue In Theater, le 3 avril 1998.
Even Beatrice and Benedick (Saskia Reeves and Matthew MacFadyen) have been rethought. That sparring couple is usually seen as Tracy and Hepburn soulmates, verbally fencing with someone they secretly admire. But Donnellan zeroes in on the seemingly harmless trap set for them by the others in the play.
"I think they play a very cruel trick on Beatrice and Benedick, telling each that the other professed their love when they hadn't. It may be one of the cruelest things one can do. It's actually probably worse than saying someone hates you. People want to control love, and they think they can turn it on very cheaply. What they forget about love is that it's out of control and you have to obey it. We can block it, bury it, but we can't control it."
Avec, me semble-t-il, une photo différente de Matthew Macfadyen et Saskia Reeves sur scène...
Luce
Fan extraordinaire
Fan extraordinaire

Message  Matthieu le Sam 2 Nov 2013 - 14:05

La photo est signée John Haynes. Qui sait combien d'autres il en a ?
Matthieu
Fan libre

http://www.matthew-macfadyen.org/

Message  Contenu sponsorisé

Contenu sponsorisé

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut